Files > Volume 6 > Vol 6 No 4 2021 > Vol 6 No 2 2021
A Competitive Analysis Of Top Ten Pharmaceutical Companies In India
Anupam Saha1*, Arijit Das1, Subhasish Dutta2, Suprodip Mandal3
Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.21931/RB/2021.06.02.30
Contemplating the activities and conduct of close contenders is fundamental. Competitive analysis is a significant piece of the vital arranging process, and the wellsprings of such Web data are enhanced, and the data are refreshed much of the time. This expansive intrigue has brought about different definitions and conceptualizations of recognizable contender proof just as different ways to deal with considering it, which disables the reconciliation of existing information planned for responding to fundamental inquiries regarding its revenue, procedures, and suggestions. To compete with the opposition organizations are against, it is essential to survey things that are genuinely working in the business. Inquire about rely upon measurable studying, which is limited most definitely and limit. There can be more recommendations, which can show profitability to the association. In this task, the top ten pharmaceutical organizations of India are firmly watched. The absolute positioning gives according to general income, i.e., overall revenue.
Keywords: Pharmaceuticals, Pharma Companies, Strategic Analysis, Competitive Analysis, TopTen Pharma Companies, Indian Pharmaceuticals.
India – The pharmacy of the world is one of the largest producers of pharmaceuticals. One out of three vaccines in the world is made in India. Every year India produces three billion of the vaccine. Its role in global polio eradication must be underlined. Jerome Kim, director-general of International Vaccine Institute, an eminent researcher, says, “Almost 70% vaccine used in the world is made in India. Almost every child in the world received a vaccine made in India”1. Competitive analysis is a method of get-together and analyzing information about adversaries, their practices, things, quality and deficiency, and business floats to assess our circumstance in the market and improve our things and publicizing strategies. In the current market, we ought to appreciate what opponents are doing and what to do to stay before the restriction. Various associations acknowledge they are giving a better than average thing to their customers, anyway don’t have reliable information exhibiting how customers see their thing or what it looks like to the resistance2.
A competitive analysis performed by a fair outsider is a priceless instrument since it can assist clients with recognizing approaches to draw in new clients, just as keep the ones happy with items3.
Results of Competitive Analysis can assist us with deciding the accompanying strengths and weaknesses upon how item piles facing the opposition and in what regions it may have the edge over own item, and in what zones own items are un-rivaled. Identification of Competition, which is to verify who essential and auxiliary contenders are. Improvements on how and in what regions own items, procedure, and practices must be improved to fulfill advertising needs or remain in front of the opposition. Marketing approach which might need to feature why our item is in front of the opposition or the particular highlight that marketing. It upgrades what have to make in own clients want or desire.4
Steps of competitive analysis
There are several significant components of competitive analysis, each of which should be painstakingly considered if one wants to change serious investigation exercises into business productivity5. Significant parts of Competitive Analysis incorporate the accompanying.
The initial phase in a severe investigation is to characterize an organization’s universe of rivals, cautioned that both unduly expansive definitions and unnecessarily restricted meanings of rivalry could bargain the adequacy of serious examination. The business directing the severe examination needs to choose whether rivalries are accidental or present a potential danger (either now or later on) to the business’s money-related prosperity6,7.
Investigation of competitors strengths and weaknesses
When an organization’s universe of rivals has been characterized and recognized, it can begin the way toward distinguishing the qualities and shortcomings of those contenders. Abrams forewarned that numerous entrepreneurs are enticed to put undue load on the nature of the item or administration they offer or plan to offer on account of new organizations. This might be a soothing idea, conceded Abrams, however it double-crosses a central misconception of how business functions: The target highlights of your item or administration might be a generally little piece of the severe picture. All the segments of client inclination, including value, administration, and area, are just 50% of the serious investigation. The other portion of the condition is inspecting the interior quality of your rivals’ organizations. Over the long haul, organizations with substantial monetary assets, exceptionally energetic or inventive workforce, and other operational resources will end up being intense, suffering rivalry5,8,9,10.
Creating Business Strategies, David Aaker an eminent American Consultant, recommended that entrepreneurs should think their examination endeavors in four significant territories such as Studying the cause behind the successes and failures of competitive business, significant aspects that motivate customers, major element costs, and barriers to potency within the industry5,11
Investigation of internal strengths and weaknesses
Another significant component of a competitive analysis is figuring out what organizations’ qualities and shortcomings are. The parts of the organization’s activity pass on a bit of leeway in the commercial center. Business power is made out of splendid or aggressive people resulting in the organization has a propelled stock administration framework set up. Workers with the ability to promote and advertise when an organization has decided its qualities can approach using those qualities to improve its situation in the commercial centers. On the other hand, an assessment of interior shortcomings enlivened item introduction, headstrong work power, awful physical area, and so on, should spike activities intended to address those weaknesses5,9,12–14.
Examination of customer needs and wants
Finding out about client needs and needs is a significant piece of serious investigation, too15. Client needs ought to turn into the organization’s business needs. What’s more, independent companies should take care that they do not limit their examination to needs that are now showed in the commercial center. Without a doubt, new item improvement and new advancements in administration are fundamental to business accomplishment in any industry. Entrepreneurs and chiefs need to study and foresee future client needs and needs and needs that are at present being tended to16–18.
Examining impediments to market for own and competition
Organizations looking to enter new markets typically need to ponder a few unique obstructions. A portion of these can be overcome without unnecessary trouble, while others might be overwhelming to the point that they block propelling a battle. A few primary obstructions to section for new rivalry i.e., Patents[NSV4] which give some protection for brand protection for new products or processes. Then, High start-up costs-In many cases, that may be a barrier that’s most daunting for tiny businesses. Followed by Lack of technical Knowledge, manufacturing, marketing, or engineering expertise can all be a significant obstacle to successful market entry.
Last but not least, market saturation may be a fundamental reality that makes it harder to carve out a distinct segment during a crowded market than to determine a presence during a market set apart by generally light rivalry. Not many obstructions to the section keep going exceptionally long, especially in new ventures. Indeed, even licenses don’t live close to as much insurance as is commonly expected. In this way, you have to sensibly extend the timeframe by which new contenders will break this obstructions5,11,19,20.
Building strategic plans to improve market place position
When an entrepreneur has taken care of the above prerequisites of serious investigation, the person in question can continue with the last component of the work, building a necessary arrangement that mirrors the discoveries. Vital plans should address all regions of business activity, including the creation of products and additional benefits, appropriation of those merchandise or potentially benefits, valuing of merchandise and additionally administrations, and advertising of products as well as administrations5.
Advantages of competitive analysis
As the name proposes, competitive analysis is examining the associations in a given industry division or market claim to fame that are battling with your association’s things or organizations for a bit of the pie. The examination may be a thorough and thorough examination of the best five contenders, or a more significant number of contenders could be investigated21,22.
Understand the competition: - The essential advantages of any severe investigation are a superior comprehension of what our rivals are doing, what they are offering to clients, and how to keep up our upper hand. The findings from this investigation are probably going to factor unequivocally into own organization’s essential arranging. In any case, this is certainly not the only detract from the way toward breaking down contenders from the process of analyzing competitors23.
Build domain knowledge: - Another advantage of serious examination includes growing the information base of those taking a shot at our site or web application.
The examination offers data about substance and usefulness that they have presumably not thought of. This is particularly valid for newcomers to our industry and ought to be genuinely average; not every person will be a topic master. Looking longer-term, this instructive procedure benefits the present undertaking, yet in addition any future venture in that equivalent industry21,24,25.
Identify best practices: - Investigating contender sites offers the chance to find what is functioning admirably for them, just as what is usually being offered through the Web. For instance, if all the contenders offer explicit substance and usefulness, clients will probably anticipate that your site should offer comparable substance and usefulness. On the off chance that they are missing, clients may go to the contender site21,26,27.
Expand the dialogue and the possibilities: - The last advantage originates from extended discourse inside the improvement group, and with different units in our organization, about what serious information intends to our crucial bearing. Such exchange can open up new choices that would not, in any case, have been thought of. Contenders might be adopting different strategies to arriving at the client base, so various prospects exist. In this circumstance, a novel methodology may be ideal, since no standard is developing21,28.
Criticism of competitive analysis
Competitive analysis that’s incomplete or supported incorrect data can lead businesses to construct faulty business strategies, and analysts have also acknowledged that traditional competitive analysis has become more complex and potentially time-consuming. Other observers, meanwhile, argue that judging a company’s performance strictly on the idea of performance against chief competitors can retard a business’s profitability and cause a false sense of security. Finally, some experts contend that preoccupation with competitive analysis often leads companies to spend insufficient time looking ahead5.
Basis of comparison
Headquarter, Therapeutic Segments, Industry location, and mainly Overall Revenue. Mainly this competitive ranking is based on two web databases. They are Market Research Reports (https://www.marketresearchreports.com/blog/2019/04/11/top-15-pharma-companies-india ) and INDIAN companies.in (https://indiancompanies.in/top-10-pharma-companies-in-india/ ). India is one of the largest producers of pharmaceuticals (Fig No. 1), here medicines, vaccines, and neutraceuticals of various types are manufactured in a magnificent quantity.
Based on the above criteria the analysis of comparison the rankings are:
1. Sun Pharma.
2. Aurobindo Pharma Ltd.
5. Dr. Reddy’s.
6. Cadila Healthcare Ltd.
7. Intus Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
8. Glenmark Pharma Ltd.
9. Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
10. Mankind Pharma Ltd.
Overall Rankings and Company Profiles are given in Table No.1.
Figure 1. India – One of the largest producer of pharmaceuticals
Table 1. Overall Rankings and Company Profiles
Pharmaceutical competitor analysis
Contender Intelligence for the pharmaceutical business is talked about, and the most significant sources are portrayed46. Contenders can just set various costs as a market procedure. Endeavoring to boost their benefit, firms will sell an item as long as its negligible income is higher than the minimal expense. With the new contender section, the cost will descend to the negligible expense over the long haul, making this a perfect circumstance for purchasers. The contention for the competitiveness of the pharmaceutical market can’t be fully trusted because the pharmaceutical market is not a solitary market but a whole of an enormous number of individual sub-markets. This is because prescriptions utilized to treat a specific well-being condition can’t be subbed with medications utilized to treat another well-being condition. The movements in a piece of the overall industry and value all occur within sight of whatever remedial rivalry is presented by other marked medications6,46–49.
Challenges and Limitations
Since this field competition is very high, the information collected is very tough; no organization gives detailed information as they have their privacy rights. Available information is not enough, and in one of the sources, not more than two pieces of information are available. So, to collect one complete database, it is needed to visit 5-6 places once or even twice. Official websites do not reveal overall revenue. It is obtained by market research.
By emphasizing advertisement in career-related magazines, journals the ardent organization may probably increase its client. The company, by providing scholarships to bright and needy students, may attract more students. By improving the study place environment, ardent may help students in concentrating their programs. By participating in career-related fairs, ardent can improve its reputation and ability to attract more students. To attract more clients, ardent can provide its brochure in coaching centers, medical centers, specific campaigns which provide coaching to technical students and Pharmaceutical colleges. By making faculty more approachable to students, ardent can support its students in a better way. By hiring a suitable placement cell, ardent may give better support to students.
Above mentioned suggestions, recommendations, research depend on our statistical surveying, which is restricted as far as anyone is concerned and capacity. There can be more suggestions, which can demonstrate gainful to the organization. All the segments of customer preference, including value, administration, and area, are just 50% of the severe examination. Investigators have additionally brought up that conventional serious examination has gotten increasingly mind-boggling and possibly tedious. A serious investigation that is fragmented or dependent on off-base information can lead organizations to develop broken business procedures. Client needs ought to turn into the organization’s business needs. Investigating customer needs and wants is about client needs and needs is a significant piece of serious examination. Examining internal strengths and weaknesses is another significant component of serious investigation, figuring out what organizations own qualities and shortcomings are. The discoveries from this investigation are probably going to factor unequivocally into our own organization’s essential arranging. Steps of competitive analysis are a few significant components of serious investigation, every one of which should be deliberately considered on the off chance that one would like to change serious examination exercises into business productivity. Significant parts of serious investigation incorporate the business leading the serious examination to choose whether rivalries are coincidental or whether they present a potential danger, either now or later on, to the business’ monetary prosperity.
Source of Funding
Conflict of Interest
1. Gravitas: India: The World’s Vaccine Producer. INDIA: THE WORLD’S VACCINE PRODUCER. Published online 17 July, 2020. Accessed 17 July, 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lwr1zjFqg&feature=youtu.be
2. Ensure that customers really do have different needs. Course Hero. Accessed 9 May, 2020. https://www.coursehero.com/file/p6jo00v/ensure-that-customers-really-do-have-different-needs-and-wants-in-other-words/
3. Competitor analaysis. SlideShare. Published 23 May, 2014. Accessed 9 May, 2020. https://www.slideshare.net/tousifirshad/competitor-analaysis
4. 19777594-Project-on-Competitive-Analysis-and-Scope-of-Placement-Consultancies. SCRIBD. Accessed 10 May, 2020. https://www.scribd.com/document/48477753/19777594-Project-on-Competitive-Analysis-and-Scope-of-Placement-Consultancies
5. COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS. Reference For Busiess. Accessed 10 May, 2020. https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/small/Bo-Co/Competitive-Analysis.html
6. Mitteness C, Sudek R, Cardon MS. Angel investor characteristics that determine whether perceived passion leads to higher evaluations of funding potential. Journal of Business Venturing. 2012;27(5):592-606. doi:10.1016/j.jbusvent.2011.11.003
7. National Cancer Institute. Serious Breach. In: Definitions. Qeios; 2020. doi:10.32388/1CUPHH
8. H Coronel M. Sbp4sample(Aca). SCRIBD. Accessed 10 May, 2020. https://www.scribd.com/document/237797640/Sbp4sample-Aca
9. Ck A. competitive analysis. SCRIBD. Accessed 10 May, 2020. https://www.scribd.com/document/431524350/competitive-analysis
10. Anderson D, ed. Survive Success: How to Overcome the Six Temptations of Successful Organizations. In: Up Your Business!. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 2015:203-242. doi:10.1002/9781119197720.ch6
11. The successful business plan rhonda abrams. Accessed 10 May, 2020. https://kalofyhizoci.omgmachines2018.com/the-successful-business-plan-rhonda-abrams-4549dx.html
12. Shanmuga P. mm. SCRIBD. Accessed May 10, 2020. https://www.scribd.com/document/179331354/mm
13. Shalhoub S. 101: Sizing up the competition. (WBJ) Worcester Business Journal. Published 10 November, 2014. Accessed 10 May, 2020. https://www.wbjournal.com/article/101-sizing-up-the-competition
14. Rahulingle. Projcet on Packaged Drinking Water Compny. SCRIBD. Accessed 10 May, 2020. https://www.scribd.com/doc/71550033/Projcet-on-Packaged-Drinking-Water-Compny
15. Wainwright P. Deciding What the Client Needs. In: Pro Apache. Apress; 2004:231-306. doi:10.1007/978-1-4302-0658-3_5
16. Customer Needs, Business Needs, and Government Requirements. In: Automotive Product Development. 1st ed. CRC Press; 2017:59-73. doi:10.1201/9781315119502-4
17. Marketing – from needs to wants. In: Scaling up Business Solutions to Social Problems. Palgrave Macmillan; 2015. doi:10.1057/9781137466549.0024
18. Gallaway GR. Delivering what your customer wants, needs, and/or can pay for . . In: IEEE Conference on Aerospace and Electronics. IEEE; 1990:875-877. doi:10.1109/NAECON.1990.112883
19. An Organization Of A Business Perspective : A Company That Has Fallen Behind The Competition With Other Companies. 123HELPME. Accessed 12 May, 2020. https://www.123helpme.com/essay/An-Organization-Of-A-Business-Perspective-A-534293
20. Material form color quantity description hdpe etc. Course Hero. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://www.coursehero.com/file/p6hhajda/Material-Form-Color-Quantity-Description-HDPE-Baledlumpsfluffpowder-etc-Natural/
21. Withrow J. Competitive Analysis: Understanding the Market Context. Boxes and Arrows. Published 27 February, 2006. Accessed 12 May, 2020. https://boxesandarrows.com/competitive-analysis-understanding-the-market-context/
22. The Main Contenders. In: Knowing What Is Good For You. Palgrave Macmillan; 2011. doi:10.1057/9780230359796.0005
23. A competitive analysis and study in Indian Telecom Sector (MBA Marketing). P2P Programmer 2 Programmer. Accessed 12 May, 2020. http://programmer2programmer.net/tips/mba/get_mba_project_idea.aspx?mba-marketing&projid=283
24. Westbrook J. Expanding Our D&U Knowledge Base. Published online 2001. doi:10.1037/e321802004-002
25. Sebastian T. Our Long-Term Strategic Outlook [Looking Forward]. IEEE Ind Appl Mag. 2015;21(1):141-142. doi:10.1109/MIAS.2014.2362035
26. Use competitor analysis to avoid situations that involve head on competition. Kegexelisujuj Tranceforming Nlp. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://kegexelisujuj.tranceformingnlp.com/use-competitor-analysis-to-avoid-situations-that-involve-head-on-competition-11674pb.html
27. BHATTAD SM. COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS FOR SUHANA MASALA PRODUCTS IN SOLAPUR MARKET. SCRIBD. Accessed 12 May, 2020. https://www.scribd.com/document/68510218/Sonal-Project-Report
28. Competitive Analysis and Site Objectives. a flux state the journal of an enquiring mind at Brighton University. Published 19 November, 2011. Accessed 12 May, 2020. https://afluxstate.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/competitive-analysis-and-site-objectives/
29. Farhan M. Methodology. SCRIBD. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://www.scribd.com/document/146866649/Methodology
30. Dori D. Object-Process Methodology. Springer Berlin Heidelberg; 2002. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-56209-9
31. Definition of methodology. Merriam Webster. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/methodology
32. How can you explain these three words to me...? Yahoo!Answers. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090123211046AAIjQrX
33. Sun Pharma. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://www.sunpharma.com/
34. Top 15 Pharma Companies in India. Market Research Reports. Published 11 April, 2019. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://www.marketresearchreports.com/blog/2019/04/11/top-15-pharma-companies-india
35. Raveendran R. Top 10 Pharma Companies in India 2020. indiancompanies.in. Published 20 August, 2019. Accessed 14 May, 2020. https://indiancompanies.in/top-10-pharma-companies-in-india/
36. Aurobindo Pharma. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://www.aurobindo.com/
37. Lupin. indiancompanies.in. Accessed 14 May, 2020. https://www.lupin.com/
38. Cipla. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://www.cipla.com/our-offerings/our-therapies
39. Dr. Reddy’s. Accessed 13 May, 2020. https://www.drreddys.com/
40. Zyduscadila. Accessed 14 May, 2020. https://zyduscadila.com/
41. Intas Pharma. Accessed 14 May, 2020. https://intaspharma.com/manufacturing/facilities/
42. Glenmark Pharma. Accessed 14 May, 2020. https://www.glenmarkpharma.com/
43. Money Control. Glenmark Pharma Ltd. Accessed 14 May, 2020. https://www.moneycontrol.com/company-facts/glenmarkpharma/locations/gp08
44. Torrent Pharma. Accessed 14 May, 2020. http://www.torrentpharma.com/
45. Mankind Pharma. Accessed 14 May, 2020. https://www.mankindpharma.com/
46. Desai BH, Bawden D. Competitor Intelligence in the pharmaceutical industry; the role of the information professional. Journal of Information Science. 1993;19(5):327-338. doi:10.1177/016555159301900501
47. Mehta A, Hasan Farooqui H, Selvaraj S. A Critical Analysis of Concentration and Competition in the Indian Pharmaceutical Market. Beck EJ, ed. PLoS ONE. 2016;11(2):e0148951. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0148951
48. Frank RG, Hartman RS. The Nature of Pharmaceutical Competition: Implications for Antitrust Analysis. International Journal of the Economics of Business. 2015;22(2):301-343. doi:10.1080/13571516.2015.1045745
49. Garattini L, Padula A. Competition in pharmaceuticals: more product- than price-oriented? Eur J Health Econ. 2018;19(1):1-4. doi:10.1007/s10198-017-0932-4
Received: 10 February 2021
Accepted: 21 April 2021
Anupam Saha1*, Arijit Das1, Subhasish Dutta2, Suprodip Mandal3
1. M.Pharm, Pharmacology, Nshm College Of Pharmaceutical Technology, NSHM Knowledge Campus, B.L. Rd, Kolkata - 700053, WB. Corresponding author: [email protected]
2. B.Pharm, School Of Pharmacy, Techno India University, Salt Lake Sec-V, Kolkata - 700091, WB.
3. Assistant Professor, Department Of Pharmacognosy, School Of Pharmacy, Techno India University, Salt Lake Sec-V, Kolkata - 700091 , WB.